We can use imperatives to give orders and instructions. Think of a cooking recipe or an airport guard or sign telling you how to proceed.
- Do not step on the grass.
- Remove your hats, shoes, belts and jackets.
- Be nice to your brother or sister.
- Add 2 pounds of flour
- Don’t forget your bag!
How to use them
The imperative is the same as the verb. We use the verb without the subjective pronoun (who are you talking to? ).
- Help your parents at home.
- Play quietly!
For a negative order or instruction, use don’t.
- Don’t run in the corridors.
- Don’t be late!
Use please and thank you to be more polite.
- Please put the plates on the table.
- Don’t make so much noise, please.